Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Great Outdoors

Last weekend we packed up and took the kids camping. The campground at the lake we planned on camping at was closed due to SNOW! They had been plowing 5 foot snow drifts the week prior....so we found another campsite a little lower in elevation. We snagged the second to last campsite available- probably for several miles around. That is not to say we would have gone home if we hadn't. We Randy is notorious for finding obscure spots in the middle of nowhere and setting up camp- even at 11:00 at night after searching for hours for some place to crash. I guess that's what we get for being impulsive.


Our campsite Friday was perfect. There was a stream and a pond nearby, but not too close to be a hazard. We had a great fire, thanks to our fire marshal, Casey, and the pile of dead pine boughs in our camp. All the kids did a great job tending to the flames- even when we didn't want any more! Emma caught on to the concept and threw in whatever she could. Randy and Casey tried fishing in the stream and pond with no luck. But it was fun exploring anyway. And the kids never mind getting 'accidentally' wet. The kids saw a few animals- rabbits, deer, and a beaver. Luckily, no bears. There were lots of trees and plants around to keep them occupied. Their favorite: playing 'restaurant'. Even Casey got into it. Shhh...don't tell him I told you. ;) They'd take our order and bring us back a scrumptious plate of grub.


Speaking of cooking.....I am starting a new blog. I am hoping to recruit some of you to help. You see, every day around 5, I go, "Hmmmm.....what I am going to make for dinner?" I know I really should plan better. And there are times when I am really on top of it and I have my month's menu planned out. But other times- times when we have been up to our ears in soccer, baseball, softball, and scouts- or just plain bein' lazy- that I am not so good at it. So, it will be a place to post recipes and menu ideas. Nothing big or fancy. Simply, what's on your menu. And if it is an unfamiliar dish or you have a special way of fixing it, recipes and directions would be fabulous!

Post as often as you can, and visit as much as you like. And I'm thinking that by having it all there, recorded, if you're in a bind, you can hop on over and get some great ideas. Leave me a comment if you're interested in being an author. I'd love all the help I can get!

Stop by and give some ideas....http://whatcha-gotcookin.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The new blog sounds fun! I participate in my cousin's cooking blog too (well I was until I found food to be so unappealing). I would love to contribute once in awhile.

Your camp trip looks so fun! Oh, the beauty of Utah mountains!

Heather H said...

What a fun idea, I am getting tired of the same old things too.

Looking for Something?