Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sea Cadet in Training

Casey went to the Navy Sea Cadet drill last weekend and LOVED it! He came home full of excitement, using Navy terms and didn't stop making references for several days after. He even had me cut his hair in anticipation for next month.

before...long overdue for a trim...
but I'm gonna miss it...

"the hairball"...
after...doesn't he look handsome?...
The Sea Cadets meet one weekend a month and they are required to have short hair (not a buzz, though..) and maintain a certain grade point average. We think this is PERFECT for him! Maybe he'll meet some good kids his age and develop some bonds. The only problem is, he brought home his grades the other day...he doesn't qualify with his current grades. It was good to show him that he needs to work harder in school if he wants to be a Sea Cadet. We'll see...in the past, we haven;t found anything to motivate him. Telling him to work hard so he could go to college and get a good job wasn't tangible enough, I think. So hopefully this will do the trick! In the drills, they learn how to put out fires (his other passion...) and learn about whatever it is they do in the Navy...?...As you can tell, I'm not a military buff like Casey. He really wants to be a Marine when he grows up, but this is a good start for whatever branch he decides to join- if any at all. If he decides this is what he wants to do the rest of his life, he can enter at a higher rank because of doing this now. Or something like that...:)

He Randy and I were required to do a science fair project this year...we made a homemade generator. It is actually pretty cool. We wrapped wire around a cardboard box and put magnets inside. The wire is attached to a tiny light bulb. The magnets are attached on a nail sticking through the box. When you turn the nail, the light bulb glows. Cool, huh?

...Now that science fair is over, Casey we get to do a country report. It's an HOUR LONG presentation on Italy. Yipee! I can't wait...

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Casey looks so handsome! I will personally miss the long do, I think it's cute :)

BookwormMom said...

The haircut makes him look so much older!!!

Six-Pack Momma said...

That's what I thought...:(

Looking for Something?