Friday, January 18, 2008

Kindergarten Teacher? or Dictator?

As you remember, Monday was Hannah's birthday. Remember how much fun we had? Well, Tuesday she came home from school and proclaimed, "Today was the best day of my life!"


Me: "Why? Did you get a present from your teacher? What made today so great?"
Hannah: "We got to go to WHATEVER center we wanted!"
Me: "Wow! I'm glad you had so much fun. Your teacher was sure being nice." (that is not typical of her teacher to do that..)
Hannah: "Our teacher wasn't there today. We had a substitute."


OK, so let me get this straight: yesterday was your birthday, but because your teacher was gone today, it was the best day of your life? I see how it is.


I am personal friends with the gal that substituted, so I told her how happy she made Hannah. She was flattered, and told me how great the class was. She said she had a great time and was impressed with the behavior of the class. She even left a 'good report'. You know, Hannah never complains or says bad things about her teacher. But when I hear something like this, it speaks volumes. I realize there must be more going on than she tells me.


Sure enough, Thursday she comes home and says, "We missed centers today." (...the highlight of her 'best' day...) "We had to put our heads down the whole time." 20 straight minutes. Last I checked, time-out is one minute for every year old they are....Apparently, she got wind of the fact that the substitute let them choose their centers and who they played with...and said that the kids were being bad. (hmmmm...quite the opposite of what was said by SOMEONE WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE!) So, the kids had to 'owe her a center'. She also took away all their marbles (they earn marbles for being quiet during centers.)


Where did this lady come from, is what I want to know? Theses 24 kindergartners don't get recess. Instead they have a dictator that tells them who they will play with, and what they will play. Hannah is not going to school today. Maybe I'll keep her home the rest of the year.

2 comments:

BookwormMom said...

Christie,

I'm going to talk to her about this at PTC. It makes me so angry!!! Alec never says much when I ask him about school...but he did say his hardest thing was something about not getting to pick what center he goes to. Is there anything else going on that I should know about?

Mindy said...

I think this is not teaching kids anything, like how to deal and just go play with kids that they want to, or to ask to be friends, instead of being told who you will play with, and who will be your friend for that time. Could expalin why Merrill is so shy... he didn't have a teacher who forced him...

Looking for Something?