Yes, another birthday...we are one big party from now until the end of May...so get used to it! Hannah turned six. Wow! I don't knpw why six seems so much older than five, but it does. Six years ago we were welcoming a baby to our home, and the world to our state with the winter Olympics.
When Hannah was less than three weeks old, she got RSV. Casey brought a cold home from kindergarten. He loved his baby sister so much! He absolutely adored her. To him, she was the cutest baby in the world (he doesn't believe me, now. :( )
One day he came to me filled with excitement: "Mom! Hannah likes sucking on my nose!"
Great. Sure enough, two days later, she was sick. She went downhill pretty quickly. That was Saturday. Murphy's Law states that kids can't get sick on a normal business day. So we were stuck going to Ogden Clinic. I had the PA tell me she wasn't 'bad enough' to justify doing anything. Are you kidding me? At 2 1/2 weeks old, I don't want to wait!
So, come Sunday morning, we took her to Bear Care's Sunday clinic. We were there less than five minutes when we had a diagnosis. They immediately swabbed her, and came back with the verdict- RSV. They did a breathing treatment and sent us home with a nebulizer.
Monday morning, I called our regular pediatrician to inform him of the situation. He told us to come in right away. He checked her out and immediately sent us to the hospital to be admitted. In his words, "You don't mess around with a baby this small." I cried the whole way there.
It was kind of a repeat of when she was born...They took her for her newborn hearing screening and brought her back saying she had failed. Randy wasn't there, and I thought my baby was deaf. Here, once again, I was all by myself, and scared to death.
We got the last bed on the pediatric floor...and a room to ourselves. I felt very blessed-most patients had to share rooms. It was a bad year for RSV. In fact, every pediatric room along the Wasatch front was full. So, Hannah and I spent 7 days in the hospital. We watched the Opening Ceremonies to the Olympics on a tiny TV in our room. I slept on a chair that transformed into a 'bed'. I was sure thankful that she sailed through that scary episode. All she required was oxygen, breathing treatments, and regular suction. She nursed well the whole time and we were able to avoid an IV. The doctor thinks that is part of the reason she did so well....and some prayers...
...I have to tell these stories here, as I remember things...this is, after all, my form of a journal...So, about her birthday yesterday....
We had tons of fun! The kids didn't have school, so we hung out all day. Hannah and I went shopping for balloons, cake and decorations. Then we stopped at Wendy's for a kid's meal...and frosty...shhhh....we ate them in the car so the other kids wouldn't see....
We came home and I made her cupcakes. She was very specific. This girl sure knows what she wants! She kept filling me in on every detail....down to the candles. She wanted lemon cupcakes with pink whipped cream on top, with candy hearts, shiny sprinkles, and a number '6' candle to top it off. We had pizza, of course, and played 'Red Light, Green Light', and Randy's famous 'Marshmallow Drop'. Then, she opened her presents. We got her an American Girl doll, but unfortunately, it didn't arrive until today. She still enjoyed the few she had to open last night.
At bed time, Randy gave her a "Birthday Tuck In". That is where he pretends he is sticking candles all over their face- 1 for every year old they are. Then he sings "Happy Birthday" and he 'blows' them all out. They are usually trick candles and he has to keep blowing....hard...for a long time....the kids love it. I personally think it's gross, but it's a highlight for them, and I always take pictures or a video.


4 comments:
Those pictures are so fun! I love how Hannah built her own cake. That is just too funny that she planned her party all out. She'll be a wonderful mother some day! Haha Emma catching the marshmellow in her mouth is a great picture. So cute.
Doesn't randy give you the birhtday tuck in every nite....kisses and blowing on your face until you fall asleep? Funny mental picture. Ha! Nat
BTW I can't believe how big Hannah looks in the picture with her American Girl doll. Wasn't she just a sleeping baby? Sheesh! If your gonna have all these cute kids you better make them stay little!!!
Love it all! You guys are such a fun family! Do I need to actually call you to RSVP... you know Lynn won't miss it for anything, and I'm trying to get her excited about "Dead Man"....
I can't believe she's 6....I remember that RSV year, I was glad I was still pregnant at the time. We have a 21 day old baby in our unit right now, that's been on a ventilator....you guys were very, very blessed.
Post a Comment