Sunday, January 06, 2008

Primary Makes Me Happy

Today was quite an eventful one for our family. Nathan started Sunbeams. I had to keep myself from crying while sitting in the front of the Primary. He just looked so sweet sitting there, not quite sure if he liked being in 'the big Primary' with the older kids. I sat with him through most of his class and I listened to the cute lesson on being a Child of God. And how Heavenly Father is the Father of our Spirits; I remembered back when Casey was a Sunbeam.

It seems like yesterday. He had a wonderful teacher, Sister Humphrey. She's a sweet grandma with a quiet, feisty disposition. She tells me regularly that she will never forget the lesson Casey taught her when he was just three years old. She was teaching about our Spirit and our bodies. She had a glove to demonstrate how our spirit moves our body, much like a hand inside a glove. Casey called it our 'bone body' and our 'Spirit body'. She was quite impressed by his intellect. She is one that always saw Casey for the great missionary he is. She saw past what a lot of other people failed to. She recognized that Casey's spirit was simply too big for his body. That explained it all. I truly believe that is why he was so challenging as a baby and even sometimes, now.

After I sat with Nathan through most of his class, he warmed up and answered questions in Sharing Time...according to Randy who peeked in...I was off doing singing time with the Nursery....which is always fun. It was Emma's first day without her big brother there with her. She does really well. She tries to act out the motions to the songs, and is genuinely interested.

As I watched Nathan struggle at first, I could help but think of the conversation we had the other day. We were getting in the car to take Hannah to school and he asked about his birthday. It's no wonder- Hailey just had hers and Hannah asks daily how many more days until her...and so it begins...Randy's and Hannah's within the next week or so and then it's one big party 'til the end of May. I told him it was still five months away and then asked him how old he was going to be. He replied that he was going to be four... and then five. When I asked him what happens when he turns five, he answered, "I turn six." He sure has it down. So as I watched him in Primary, I thought, he acts so big and knows so much, yet he is still so little. He gets excited to get bigger, yet when it comes down to it, he really still wants me and his Dad.

Hailey and Casey are in the same class, now that we combined classes. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Casey is no longer the only kids in his class (he actually really loved being the only one.) He was sad to not have his teacher anymore, but we couldn't justify having four classes for 6-7 active kids. We decided we'll just use his old teacher as a sub. And it's not like he won't see him anymore- his teacher is also his 11 Year-Old Scoutmaster- until March, anyway. Hailey was a little disappointed that she was still going to be in the class with the boys. LOL. I remember feeling the same way- that I couldn't wait to be rid of the obnoxious boys. She has been the only active girl in her class, so now she has two more girls to support her. It's a good thing. I hope Casey and Hailey have fond memories of being in class together. They really do like each other- even if they don't act like it sometimes. :)

Hannah was so excited to get a new CTR ring. Until she lost it. In sacrament meeting. Luckily, I have a few extras! All my kids have great teachers and I look forward to a fabulous year with them in Primary. I really feel blessed to be able to experience this with my kids. Five of them are in 'the big Primary' and I am 'over' the nursery, so I get to see Emma, too. Some people made negative comments to me when I was called to Primary as if it was a bad thing that I couldn't 'get away' form the kids. There is no place I would rather be right now. With my kids, and the great women I get to work with. It couldn't be better!

Tonight was Tyler's "It's Great to be Eight" fireside. I can hardly believe he is getting baptized this year. Where has the time gone?! I know I keep saying that, but WOW! I can't believe it. He is so quiet, sometimes I forget he is as old as he is. The fireside was a great time to reflect. Just like at Casey's Priesthood Preview, I watched these kids I have known; some of them their whole lives. And to think they are now old enough to be baptized amazes me. I also came to the realization that in four years, We will be sitting there with Nathan, and Tyler will have his Priesthood Preview, and Casey will be ordained a Priest. That will be a big year. I don't like to think ahead like that, but it will come too soon, I'm afraid. So I need to brace myself and enjoy these days.

These are the days to remember.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Can we post the title to this post in big bold letters at the front of the primary room??? That might help some people there...

Looking for Something?