Saturday, February 02, 2008

Touched


"Each life that touches ours for good reflects thine own great mercy, Lord; thou sendest blessings from above thru words and deeds of those who love."


I was very touched today by President Hinckley's funeral. The first thing that struck me pretty hard, was seeing the empty chair between President Monson and Presisdent Eyring. I felt a little sad that dear President Hinckley would not be in that chair at the next conference. Until President Monson stood to talk. I was reminded just how much I love him, too. As a young child, it was Thomas S. Monson that always kept my attention. So as I heard him speak today, I felt a sense peace knowing that a beat would not be missed, and that he would be soon be at the head of this great church.


I enjoyed Elder Tingey's talk and was captivated by the phrase he quoted Presisdent Hinckley saying many times: "The best is yet to come!" How true that satement is. It is to believe that things could get any better, but I have faith that those words are true. I was touched by President Monson, who worked along side him for so many decades, saying, "God be with you'til we meet again." I enjoyed hearing him speak at the graveside and smiled at the fact that some Lancashire dirt was sprinkled in President Hickley's grave, so he could be buried on English soil, as well.


I sobbed though most of the funeral, but was lifted by the many stories and jokes that were told about President Hinckley. I cried tears of joy, and tears of sadness. I noticed his casket placed directly in front of the pulpit made from the tree he grew in his own backyard. And I realized that his lfe was celebrated in the conference center, just like it was 2 years ago at his 95th birthday. But this time, we did not anticipate his grand entrance through the door on the right, waving his cane and smiling to us. Instead, we watched his grandsons as they reverently carried his casket out through the same door.


I will always cherish the years we were blessed with his leadership. It makes me smile to remember the many times he made us laugh. But it makes me smile even more to know that his jourmey on earth is done. And he has moved on to do the work in Heaven that the Lord has called him to do, along with his eternal companion.

2 comments:

Heather H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

I am crying again...
where's your guess?

Looking for Something?