What an amazing week this has been.On Wednesday I attended the funeral for my SIL's mom., Susan. She was a wonderful person with a generous heart. She was always looking for ways to help others.
This past summer, I experienced her generosity first-hand. I had flown down to Arizona for the weekend to help with my niece's wedding. She was also there, along with her husband. I busily helped with last-minute preparations for the big event. As I was washing a drink fountain, getting ready to assemble it, I accidentally dropped it and it broke off a piece near the bottom. I was upset and was wanting to go buy a new one for my SIL- who was unaware I had broken it. I had no car and would need someone to drive me to the store. Susan got word of what happened and approached me. "I have one, too. It's in the back of my car. How about you take that one, and I'll have the broken one." I protested, saying it was only fair that I buy a new one. She would not accept that, insisting that I take her up on it. In her words, "Leslie hosts parties much more than I do. I could just put some lace over the broken part and nobody would even know."
What a kind lady. At her funeral, there were many stories told, like this one that illustrated her charitable personality. Although many tears were shed, I came away from the funeral inspired to be a better person. The Spirit was so strong as the song, "Because I Have Been Given Much" was sung. "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?" was also quoted. What a legacy this lady left for her 7 children and 25 grandchildren. Not to mention the countless people she has helped along her life's journey.
"Grandpa, we will always Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be True, Be Humble, and Be Prayerful...Because we love you!"
And then last night, I was reading on Meridian Magazine's website, this article. It is long, but well worth the time to read it. I realized just how much I will miss Presisdent Hinckley. I was bawling. I am now, too.... As Sheri Dew put it, "He was a people's Prophet." He had a gift that drew people to him. I also read their tribute to Marjorie Hinckely that was written almost four years ago. And again, I felt joy for him- to be reunited with her.
Tomorrow we will watch his funeral. I look forward to the opportunity to remember him and feel the Spirit, yet again.
3 comments:
What an awesome experience for your family! Can anyone go to the viewing and funeral, or did you have to get special tickets or know someone? I can't imagine there would be enough room for all of the family and acquaintances, let alone everyone else. How does it work?
I found your blog on Dawn's site and I have to say yours is just as fun! I love reading about other LDS families and since we are just starting it is great to see someone do such a great job with lots of little kids like we hope to have someday. Thanks for sharing yours stories!
the last pic is my favorite!!! I love it! I want me and mer to be just like them!
Post a Comment