Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Chalkboard of Life

I've really been thinking lately. I know, it's dangerous. Thinking has gotten me in trouble before.

With parent teacher conferences today, the wheels in my head are spinning even more. My kids all have super teachers. Really. As I sat and talked to each one, I realized what an impact they truly have.

Hannah's teacher does a remarkable job. Remember what a hard time Hannah had last year? This year has been a complete 360. Getting her to read and write last year was like pulling teeth. This year, she won't go to school without her 'responsibilities' read and signed off. Her teacher does not believe in homework (a woman after my own heart!) But she wants them to learn to bring things back. It's not homework. And when it is brought back to school, she oohs and aahs over what a good job the student did bringing it back. It's all in the approach. And it makes all the difference in the world.

Tyler's teacher is flexible. In a good way. She is very up to date on the latest technology in the classroom. But she also recognizes when a student knows the stuff well enough to not stress over spelling practice and such. But the main thing I like about her is, she is positive. She always has nothing but good things to say about Tyler. Unlike last year when his papers came home with red marks all over them. All the time. I saw his enthusiasm drop. And his motivation was gone. This year, it's different.

Hailey has a really nice teacher. Again, she realizes there is so much more than busy work. That it is about being a good friend. And learning to love the process. The kids in her class learn. And they enjoy it. Hailey comes home, truly excited about her days.

Meeting with Casey's junior high teachers is a little different. Some of them have 200+ students each day. Although they don't spend as much time with your child as in elementary school, they don't love them any less. As I sat across from each of his teachers tonight, I saw genuine love and concern for the kids they teach. Each one sees Casey's fun and unique personality, and recognize how bright he is. One teacher jokingly told me she has many, many students, and that maybe she should be meaner. I told her they would never forget what a great teacher she is. And thatI still remember a teacher I had when I went there. She still teaches there, and I am still afraid when I see her. Funny how that is. But apparently she hasn't changed because whithout naming her, this new teacher knew exactly who I was talking about. And I can't forget my fifth grade math teacher. I still hate math.

But I will never forget my first grade teacher. She was wonderful. I still remember what she wore on the first day of class. And my biology teacher. I love science because of him. Their influence has stayed with me after all these years. So, as I think about my kids and the teachers they have had, and will have, I hope they have good memories. And more than anything, experiences that instill a love of lifelong learning. Because...

What a teacher writes on the chalkboard of life can never be erased.
I didn't make that up, but if your kid goes to the same school as mine, don't steal that quote.....that is my end-of year gift to the teachers...he he he....

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I totally agree on how much influence a teacher can have. I wish they all understood that. I am curious which teacher you were afraid of?

Six-Pack Momma said...

That would be Ms. John....

Rachael said...

A good teacher is truly hard to find. But when you do as you can see, they make all the difference. And you have totally lucked out this year having more than one good teacher for your kids.

BookwormMom said...

Ahh...Ms John.....

I won't steal your quote for our school...but I may use it to make a present for my mom....

Jenny said...

I loved reading this post!

TumbleBee said...

cute! i love my teacher!!!! she understands things and fixes fights

Looking for Something?