Thursday, May 15, 2008

An Hour at a Time

Today is Nathan's birthday. But since we have been living our lives in one hour increments, we will officially celebrate tomorrow. I have been fantasizing about my kids not being in any extra-curricular activities or lessons. How fabulous that would be?! I think we might try it.

Today we took it easy. Well, compared to the other days this week. I got a shower today, so that says something. I wrapped up some loose ends while the kids watched a movie and then Emma decided to strip down and leave a present for me on the toy room floor. At least she had the presence of mind to poop on the wood floor, and not the carpet. Things couldn't go too smoothly today...

Then we went to Taco Maker- a real treat since you have to drive more than two minutes to get there. We took it to the new Nature Park to eat but by the time we got there, it was after 12:00. I decided Hannah was just going to be late for kindergarten. We were having too much fun, and the weather was PERFECT! After taking Hannah to school, we went to the party store and loaded up on treasures: pirate balloons, pirate plates, pirate 'pinny-ata', and of course a pirate sword and hat!

We went to Tyler's class to watch him do an iSearch project. It's a second grade version of a research project. He did it on baseball and I was very proud....we put it together in between baseball practices and soccer games last night. Randy had scouts and Casey had a Shakespeare play (AGAIN) and Hailey had a softball game. I am so glad we went to that one. <-----read with sarcasm. The whole hour was one long inning, and Hailey didn't get to play at all. Not even a second. It was lots of fun dealing with tired kids (<-----more sarcasm) and I didn't even get to see her play! We salvaged it by stopping for ice cream cones on the way home. After all, it's Nathan's birthday...poor kid fell asleep on the way home! Anyway, earlier I explained to Nathan that we would have his cake and open his presents tomorrow (yes Mom, even yours,) so he would have two birthdays. He got really excited and said, "So I am going to 5?!!!" Sorry bud, just four. I know he has been trying hard to figure out how he can squeeze an extra year in there!

Shoot! It's 11:00 and I just realized I need to bake Nathan's cake tonight. I have a PTA conference all day tomorrow. Why are you laughing? Because of my moment of insanity? Yes, for those of you who haven't heard, I am the PTA President-Elect next year. That means in two years, I'll be President. YIKES! If you are wondering why this is so funny, you'd have to know that I hate PTA...at least at our school. They are a bunch of uber-parents. They go way over-board and are way too involved...yes, that is possible. For example, Hailey has one of the most awesome teachers this year. This lady is amazing! She has patience like no other, and just has a way of earning the respect of her students. She has raised five kids and knows what it's all about. So, she doesn't believe in homework. Sounds terrific, eh? Yeah, until some uber-parents decide to complain that their child isn't getting homework! So she assigned token homework each week just to please those parents that wouldn't leave well enough alone! So I am hoping to shake things up a bit. Change is good. Right, Mindy?

I'm off to bake a cake. Oh what a joy...I have a new KitchenAid....

3 comments:

Sister Gramma said...

Congratulations on your new PTA position! I was suppose to be the President Elect that year, but the President decided to have a baby and so she dropped out and I was it. I didn't know a thing about PTA, so at least you've had some experience. Are you getting a new Principal? I did! That made it even more fun.:( You'll do a great job! Have fun!!

BookwormMom said...

I'm so glad you're going to be the Pres elect...then the Pres...I'm all about shaking things up a bit.

Mindy said...

aww shake it up baby!
i am along for the ride... whenever you need me, in whatever way(s)...
yea!!!

Looking for Something?