The final chapter.
Day 13- Wednesday, April 23, 2008:
We headed out as soon as we had eaten breakfast. We were going to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling, and my dad told us to get there early before they fill up. 9:30 isn't early enough, I guess. We drove all the way down there, and it was full. They haven't figured out yet how to give out tickets like at Pearl Harbor. You have to just be driving by when someone is leaving, and they let you in. They don't let you wait in a line or anything. It stinks. We didn't wan to waste anymore time, so we left. We found a Costco in Hawaii Kai so we could stock up on chocolate covered macadamia nuts, and some snacks for the plane ride home. As we walked in, it felt like home. Kind of like the Church. Wherever you go, it's the same. :O)
We drove back past Hanauma Bay one more time, but with no luck. Randy remembered seeing a nice place for snorkeling on the way there, so we drove back to that spot. I hung out on the beach with Nathan and Emma and the other kids took turns going out one at a time with Randy. They spotted lots of cool fish and some other exotic sea life. They decided that next time they go fishing around here, it won't be very exciting to see a plain 'ol trout swimming by. Emma finally decided she liked the water. She didn't find it very accommodating that I insisted on holding her hand. When her binky got covered in sand, she'd walk over to the water and rinse it off. You should have seen her face when she popped it back into her mouth! She sold not figure out why it tasted so horrible!
Next, we drove to the famous Kailua Beach (my friend, Tif, had told me it is their favorite beach there...) It was gorgeous! The water was so blue! And the sand and waves were perfect. Emma fell asleep and stayed asleep on a beach towel, so Randy and I took turns sitting by her and playing in the waves with the other kids. Casey had a blast floating on his stomach and letting the waves carry him and deposit him on the beach. Hailey and Tyler caught on, too, and didn't even mind getting a little scraped up. Hannah had fun jumping and riding in the surf, too- she stayed in the water longer than she had the whole trip. Nathan got surprised by a big wave and got a face full of salty, sandy water. As he recalls it, "The water carried sand into mine eyes." He sat out for a little while until I convinced him to ride on my back. I have never had so much fun at a beach. He talked my ear off for quite a while as we jumped in the waves together.
We had to get out of the water before we were ready to. I was a little sad as I realized it was the last time my kids would play in the ocean in Hawaii- at least as little kids (never mind that up until the week prior they never had before!)
When we were about 20 minutes away, Tyler informed us he didn't have his Crocs. Nice. He couldn't remember where he lift them- whether they were at the first beach, or the second. I had seen various flip-flops here and there throughout our trip and wondered how someone could just leave and forget their shoes. I'm still wondering.
We were headed to the PCC for one last dinner at the Gateway, and we didn't have time to turn back to find them. Luckily, Hannah had an extra pair of sandals in the van and was nice enough to let Tyler squeeze into her Crocs.
I enjoyed those purple rolls and kalua pork one last time before heading home.
Day 14- Thursday, April 24, 2008:
Whose idea was it to do family portraits on the beach, anyway? OK, so it was mine. Family pictures are always fun, :O) We got dressed and ready with only a couple minor set-backs: Hannah wanted to wear her pink dress instead of the matching muumuu I bought, and Nathan insisted on wearing a yellow shirt under his because Randy had a 'shirt' under his aloha shirt. I finally was able to bribe Hannah with a shave ice if she wore the right dress and everyone smiled. I chose not to fight the battle with Nathan.
Sunset beach was a gorgeous backdrop for the pictures. The sun was a little higher in the sky than we'd like. The sun rises much higher, much faster than here, so we didn't anticipate it being right in our eyes like it was. Casey was practically crying because of it....buck up, son, and be tough! All in all, it wasn't too bad...considering there were eight models and six of them were less than thrilled. Thanks, Dad! You took some great pictures! Hailey can blame my dad for giving me the photographer bug...she says I take pictures of EVERYTHING! I do, but it's a good thing! I'll post those later...when I have a big chunk of time to download 9 GB.
Back home to pack and clean the sand-mobile. I was proud of the fact that everything, including souvenirs, fit in our bags.... Oh, how could I forget to mention the Ukeleles?! Hailey and Casey bought them at the PCC. Casey had been looking for one at the swap meet, but they were too expensive. He couldn't let Hailey get one, and he not. So they both pitched in some of their own money, I pitched in some, and Grandpa pitched in the rest. Thanks, Dad! He was the one that got them hooked, in the first place. He taught them how to play, and how read the music and tune them. It's a good thing, cuz I don't have a clue! Tyler received $10 for his baptism from my parents' friends and so he wanted in on the deal, too. My Dad took him over to the PCC to buy one while I was packing up.
The van was packed and vacuumed (somewhat, anyway...enough to avoid shock when opening the door!) and we stopped by the Laie LDS Temple. The visitor's center is very nice. I love the Christus and the color of paint behind it. It is different than the scene in Salt Lake. If you have ever been to Salt Lake Temple Visitor's Center, you have probably seen the Church movies that play in the little houses. Well, in Hawaii, they are little beach huts....complete with surf boards! So cute! WE walked around the temple grounds and signed our names on the "autograph tree". It is a tree that has giant leaves. If you write on the leaves, it stays there and turns brownish. It's kind of fun, and doesn't harm the tree.
On our way to the airport, we stopped by Ted's bakery so Randy could get one of their 'famous' chocoalte coconut cream pies. We all got shave ice at Motsumoto's, and Tyler got some flip-flops so he wouldn't have to go barefoot the whole way home! The final stop on our journey was Wal-Mart. Yup. No matter where you go, or what you do, you just can't avoid it, dang it! It is just too convenient! Hailey had promised sea shells for her class and Tyler wanted me to make him a lava lava. We got some inexpensive fabric, shells, and last-minute mementos.
We made it to the rental car place and it was time for good-byes. I hate that part. It's a good thing my parents will be home in November. (We miss you Gramma and Grampa! Thanks for letting us come visit! XOXOX)
We made it to the check-in counter at 7:55...our plane started boarding at 8:10. We hurried through security and hustled down the hall toward the gate. The very last gate in a very long airport. We hitched a ride from one of those golf-cart ladies- what a lifesaver! We sat down at our gate just long enough to finish the pie (Yes, Randy brought the half-eaten pie, and yes, they let it through security....) and go to the bathroom.
The kids were good on the plane again. I tried to let Randy sleep so he could drive the next morning. I spent the next five hours juggling Emma and Nathan as they dozed in and out of sleep. The other kids slept great.
Day 15- Friday, April 25, 2008:
We arrived at LAX around 5:00, which was now 2:00 'body time'. We had a seven hour drive ahead of us. Everyone went back to sleep in the car, except Randy. What a trooper. He always drives, and I can never stay awake. We had to wake up the kids to meet some of his family's old friends for breakfast in Apple Valley. Mos tof them went back to sleep again. In fact, casey slept the whole time. I think he has finally learned what my parents taught me as a kid- and apparently still live by: if you go to sleep, it goes by much faster.
At this point, I just wanted to be home, home. I wasn't ready to leave Hawaii, but once we landed on the mainland, I just wanted to go home. We stopped for the night at his parents house and went to Chuck-A-Rama with Grandma Great. The kids always love that!
Day 16- Saturday, April 25, 2008:
The last leg of our trip! Woohoo! It was uneventful...or at least, I don't remember anything. Maybe I was comatose.
As we pulled into our driveway, a mob of kids surrounded our Suburban, I kid you not. It was great- we felt so loved!
The kids were so excited to see the new kitties! Thanks to everyone who helped! They wouldn't have made it with out you. Please come visit them soon, and in a few weeks, you each get to take one of them home with you as payment for your services! :O) ...and anyone else who wants one...
2 comments:
I claim one of the ones with no tail....unless a different one picks us first. We like to let our kittens choose us....
ahhh... wal-mart... also our last stop before leaving our beach heaven...
Post a Comment