Monday, October 29, 2007

Fall Break

What do soccer games, toys, bridges, temple square, and pumpkins have in common? You'll never guess...that was my weekend. The kids have been out of school since Friday and they don't go back until Halloween. We have had a good time, but I don't know how much the teachers will enjoy them coming back wired on Wednesday!

Saturday was Hailey's first indoor soccer game. If you can even call it soccer. It is so different than the game we are used to watching her play. But it was a lot of fun! If you blink, you could miss something. It is so fast paced! It will take some getting used to the fact that you can kick it against the wall and the ball is still in play. Even though they didn't win, she had a blast!

After her game I ran some errands trying to round up what I still needed for some Halloween costumes. When I got back, Randy had taken all the kids to our friend's house while he helped them repair some sheet rock. I took advantage of the quiet house and cleaned out the toy closet. I was in it pretty deep when Randy returned, so he took the 5 oldest for a hike. I worked from 1-6 PM on that thing! I loaded up Randy's Jeep with toys and coats to send to DI. When the kids got home, they were quite surprised to see an almost empty toy room! Why is it that they don't care about a single toy until they are gone? Most of the toys are simply locked in a closet and they will each get to choose a bin every week or so to rotate through. I just can't take it any more! You figure, we have been collecting toys for 11 and a half years. That is 36 birthdays each with and average of three presents, Christmas X 37 with and average of 5 gifts each. That is about 284 toys. Each with an average of 10 pieces (all numbers being extremely conservative.) So I have 2,840 pieces to pick up 365 days a year. For eleven years. That is 11,402,600 toys I have picked up! OK, so these numbers may not be statistically accurate, but it gives you an idea, anyway!

Sunday was our Stake Conference. The thought of wrestling 6 kids in the dark for two hours seemed more than I could take. I know this is poor rationalization on my part, but our Sunday turned out to be very spiritually uplifting. More so than if we had opted for the wrestling, I think. We went to Salt Lake and watched them move the bridge over I-215 for a little while. It was compared to watching paint dry. It was moving pretty slowly, but when you are married to a civil engineer, these things are exciting.

After that, we went to Temple Square. Can I just say, this may be our new tradition? It was awesome! The kids loved it! After discovering acorns (Nathan recognized them from Ice Age!) we toured the visitor's centers. It has been a couple years since we have done that. Standing in front of the Christus, I showed Nathan that prints in his Jesus' hands and feet, and told him the story of the cruxifiction. I don't think he had ever heard that before- at least not that he comprehended. He just sat there staring for while. Then last night at dinner he asked what happened to the bad men that put the nails in Jesus' hands and feet.


We also went to a presentation on families that we had never been to before. You walked from room to room of a family's home watching different little clips about families. I was glad the lights were off because I got pretty emotional- as soon as we walked into the nursery. And I went down hill from there. The Spirit in there was incredible. I would love to take our friends there someday.

Hannah came down with a fever when we got home. She was acting a little strange there saying she was tired and wanted to lie down. She must have known they were all going to get flu shots today. Lucky for everyone I had to cancel the appointment!

My sister came over for dinner and then we made spiders out of suckers and some cheesecloth ghosts.

I spent a good part of today making a pumpkin costume. After only a few sewing machine glitches, I finished it. Hailey loves it. Randy took off work a little early and we went to the pumpkin patch to get our pumpkins. As always, the kids had a great time. Emma said, "cheese!" every time she saw the camera. She thought she was pretty funny.




Hannah wandered around for a while and then I asked her if I could help her find one. She said, "I'm trying to find one without dirt on it." That's my Hannah! And when it came to for carving, she wanted gloves on. It has always made me laugh- she is my one and only thumb sucker. yet, she can't stand things on her hands. Whenever she would take her thumb and finger out of her mouth, she would dry them off on her 'fluffy'. Yet if anyone else slobbered on her things, it had their 'germs' on it and she wanted it washed! Silly Hannah!


No comments:

Looking for Something?