With four kids in school in the afternoon, things are very different around here. Emma takes a nap and that leaves Nathan with no one to play with. He has never experienced that before. So last week, he decided he would change all that. I was busy with some things that needed wrapping up, and he came to me. "Mom!" he yelled, "Hurry, It's a 'right now' game!" How could I resist that?! I immediately dropped what I was doing and joined him in playing with his train set. We played for quite a while before I told him we needed to do some chores. He was happy to help me fold laundry for a while until he decided that was enough. Then it was time for another "right now game". I guess he figured that worked so well the first time, he'd stick with it. It reminded me of some poems from some needlepoints my mom did when I was little. I have always loved these...
"Cleaning and scrubbing can wiat 'til tomorrow
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs, and dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep!!"
"Baby is fretting, I can't find my shoe
Ironing piled high, there are dishes to do
I stand in the middle about to cry
WHEN... we sit on the floor and play 'rock-a-bye'"
"I hope my children look back on today,
And see a mother who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking
For children grow up when we're not looking"
So now, whenever he wants me to stop what I am doing, he proclaims, "It's a 'right now' game!" He is right though. Because someday soon, I won't be playing trains with him.
No comments:
Post a Comment