Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mom, come quick!

Last week, I promised the kids that is they all got their rooms clean, I would take them to a new park in town. So, after dinner, we loaded up the car and off we went. There was not much daylight left, but I had to keep my end of the bargain. The kids were excited to play on the new playground and even better- Daddy was there, too. One of their favorite games to play with him is what they call, "Beautiful Freak" (It used to be called "monster", but the song "Beautiful Freak" from Shrek changed that!) Basically, he chases after them making some moaning and wailing sounds and they all scream and run! It is really quite cute to hear Nathan ask to play "Bootifo Fweek"! Anyway, after playing that for a while Randy was tired and sat down on a bench to rest. I joined him and we were actually having a conversation. Anyone with kids knows this is a rarity. Then Nathan shouts from across the playground, "Mom! Come quick! See what I found!"
"Just a minute," I replied.
"Hurry!" he said.
"OK" I half-grudgingly got up to go see the neat rock or pine cone he found.
"Look, Mom, a snake!" he shouted.
I was looking at the bark trying to find a piece that looked like a snake.
"Right here, Mom." he pointed.

Sure enough, there was an honest to goodness, real-life snake! I don't know how in the world he saw it. It was the same color as the bark, and it was practically dark outside! He was so proud of himself as each of the kids took turns holding the poor thing. After a while, I ruined the fun by telling them we couldn't keep it and making them put it back where they found it.

I am OK with my role as fun-ruiner. You see, they love Daddy so much because he is the "fun one" that it is easy for me to leave them with him.! :) But seriously, I am so lucky to have a husband that values his role as Daddy. He is the greatest! My kids and I are so lucky to have him.

And some day...when my kids are grown, they will call and ask for "Mom". After all, it is my name Nathan called out when he wanted to share the treasure he found.

No comments:

Looking for Something?