Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Viva Italia!


Today was Casey's report. Of course, Nathan woke up sick again. Never mind that he was running around at the park yesterday having a grand 'ol time after I decided not to go to the ribbon cutting. So here we were again...Nathan crying and laying on the couch and I am supposed to go watch Casey's report. I wasn't about to miss this, but there was no way I could ask a friend to watch a sick boy. So I checked Hailey out of school so she could babysit. Shhhh...don't tell anyone (all she missed was lunch, recess, and art, so I don't feel bad.)

It was kind of a mad dash to get there on time. Randy got home about 9:50 and the report started at 10:45. He still had to make pizza dough and change. I went to get Hailey and came home to cut the buffalo mozz, only to discover it was so soft, it was more like ricotta. So a quick trip to Wal-Mart for an American version of fresh mozzarella, and back home to slice it.

I made it there just in time. He did a great job! He started out with an Italian accent, which quickly turned Jamaican-ish. So he dropped it altogether. He did really well presenting his PowerPoint. I was a little worried last night as he was pretty much just reading the bullet- points. But today, his personality shone through and he was a huge success.

Randy talked about the people and the language and demonstrated how to toss pizza dough and how to make fresh pasta. We handed out the cheese samples and the Ferrero Rocher 'gold balls'.

After it was done, his teacher stood up and complimented him on several different things. She was impressed by his detailed outline (I congratulated Randy for that...) and use of attention grabbers, ie. his accent and mention of points of interest to various classmates (one girl loves fashion designing, and he mentioned how she would love Milan.) And he played some Italian music while talking about the Opera. She said it was one of the best presentations they have had. She gave him 105/100! Way to go, Casey!!!!!

In celebration, Randy took Casey to Fat Cats tonight for some bowling, bumper cars and arcade games.

Our other kids have already been informed they WILL be doing their reports on Italy! One down, five to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job, casey - and parents!! That's awesome!

Jenny said...

Way to go Casey! Sounds like you all put in a lot of time and work. I would definitely be using the same report for the rest of the kids!

Mindy said...

Way to go Casey! What a confidence booster! Where's mention of the "Godfather"??? ;)Are the other 5 working on their accents now?

Looking for Something?