I have a lot to write about from this past weekend. But what I am about to write is the only thing occupying my mind right now. As you know, yesterday was Casey's birthday. I was excited because there was no school, and we were going to have an extra special day. We had all our plans in place and we were all looking forward to it.
Then I woke up to the phone ringing. It was my friend informing me that a boy in our ward had passed away.....Our good friend's son, Randy's scout, and one of Casey's friends. It wasn't until noon that I had anymore details. He had passed in his sleep, due to a seizure in the night. At this point, I was determined to not tell Casey. After all, I didn't want to him to always remember his twelfth birthday as the day his friend died.
The kids were playing outside together, enjoying the spring weather when a kid from Casey's class rode by in his bike to tell Casey. He thought it was a joke and ran inside to ask me if he could go to hi friend's house. I couldn't lie to him and I told him. Boy how I wish I could go back. I wish I had made them stay inside. But I can't think of 'what if.'
Instead, I will realize that my little boy did more than turn a year older on his twelfth birthday. He grew up. He struggled with the news and shed many tears. We continued with our plans and there were smiles along with the tears. We stayed up late talking and crying. I could see that it was really affecting him, but I know with time, it will get easier for Casey.
For the dear family that lost their son, I cannot imagine the pain. They are one of the most amazing families I know. They lost of part of themselves yesterday. I pray that they will find peace and comfort throughout this tremendous trial. And I pray they will feel our love, and our Saviour's love during this time.
The compassionate service coordinator in our ward said, "This will change lives." She is absolutely right. It has already been an amazing teaching opportunity. And out of all Randy's scouts, only three are active in the church. So what a great time to teach those young men about the plan of salvation and bear his testimony of the atonement.
And for me, it has been pivotal. As you can imagine, with six little kids, I sometimes dread mornings. I know it means another day of getting kids off to school, making meals, cleaning up messes and dealing with tantrums. So as each child wakes up, I sometimes feel a bit of, "Oh boy, here we go again!" But I can see now, I have it all backwards. How I have taken for granted each morning that they wake me up. What a blessing it is to have each day with them. I am determined to love 'em more and appreciate the gift they are to me.
10 comments:
It's sad that something like this has to happen. It has made me look at the beautiful children I have, and thank my heavenly father for every day I have with them.
I hope Casey is ok, I wouldn't have any idea how to help my child get threw something like this. He's lucky he has such great parents.
You are awesome! I am so blessed to live in this ward with all of you guys!
I am just so sad that I don't have anything to write. The words would sound cheap....
Nat
I feel like you, Nat. My words just don't touch it.
Mindy's post started the tears, and yours made me just sob....
And I did the same thing this morning..so grateful for the morning that I normally hate, and the children to wake me up!
Thank you for your message. We all love our children, but things like this teach us to treasure every moment.
Christie,
Thanks for the reminder. We will miss you this weekend, but I know you will be in the right place. Now I need to go hug my kids.
Kristen
How sad. My prayers are with those that knew the young man.
I saw the little boys' obituary today in the newspaper, and it made me so very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Post a Comment