The trip was lots of fun and filled with lots of learning experiences. The first: never travel from Las Vegas to L.A on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Or probably any Sunday for that matter. Remember our detour on ol’ Route 66 last time? This was somewhat less adventurous, but reminiscent nonetheless.
Can you see the bumper to bumper traffic through the dust?
Thank goodness for the GPS Randy’s dad loaned us. It saved us time once we got into CA and had more freeway options. But the drive that should have taken 4 1/2 hours took 7!
The first stop was Disneyland. This was the second lesson learned. Save the best for last. We didn’t want to be there on the weekend, or when the kids were tired from a long week. But in hind sight, I think it would have been better. Next time.
As is tradition, I make matching shirts whenever we go to the big D. It makes it so much easier to find everyone. Not to mention, my kids are pretty good sports about all the attention it draws. Tyler even wanted to keep a tally of how many times somebody commented. I don’t think that would have been possible. These shirts drew quite a bit…
We hit Fantasyland first. We have always skipped over Fantasyland in past visits. One day isn’t enough to do it all, so something has to go. But not this time. We did it
ALL!



Our first time in California Adventure. The kids are hooked! I’ve got a bunch of adrenaline junkies on my hands! They couldn’t get enough of California Screamin’!
My personal favorite was Tower of Terror. Nathan- not so much. According to him, this ride gave him the ‘shivos’.
Casey discovered his dream job: the Green Army Men drummers. Does it get any better than that? Seriously! They were hilarious. They called the kids up, referring to them as ‘Team Creamsicle”. Tyler and Nathan were a bit too shy to get up there and Emma was sleeping.

Hannah and Casey got called up separately, as well.

Randy took the older kids on the Grizzly River Run and they got soaked. It was not a warm day, but they were good sports about it!

I braved the Maliboomer with Casey and Hailey. Tyler was bummed he was barely too short while Randy

Unfortunately, Emma was an inch and a half shy of the 40 inch mark for most rides. But she was old enough to know what she was missing out on. The Matterhorn was the biggest ride she could go on, and she loved it! Nathan warned her she would be ‘freaked out’. After the first ride, she said, “I was totally freaked out! LET’S GO AGAIN!” She was fearless. Nathan on the other hand, doesn’t care for the Abominable Snowman. On the way back to the hotel one night he asked why the monsters don’t leave Disneyland. I tried telling him they weren’t real, but it didn’t help that Dad kept telling him stories of the monsters eating little kids. No wonder Nathan liked riding that ride with me instead!
Whenever Emma was told she was too small for a ride, she’d stand on her tip-toes and say, “I’m growing!” :( To make up for it, I’d find something fun for just the two of us while the rest of the family rode the big rides. (Don’t tell the others, but that is when we’d buy cotton candy and Churros!) She loved the characters!

Disney goes all out at Christmastime. Everything is decked out for the holidays. “It’s a Small World” and “Haunted Mansion” are completely transformed! And the fireworks at night are amazing!
At the end of a long day, it’s hard to get little feet to keep going. Nathan shoved his body- face first- into the stroller. It didn’t look too comfortable, but it got us to the car!

Three fun-filled days behind us…three more to go!
10 comments:
I knew you guys were gone, but I didn't realize you did the California thing! How fun!
I love the shirts, and of course Emma knew what she was missing...we took our kids when Alec was 4 and Kyle was 7..Alec was also fearless, and was upset when he couldn't ride the big coasters that Kyle did!
That looks like such a blast!!! Your t-shirts are so fun, I love the ones that number the kids. You are a fun mom- I couldn't have ridden some of those rides (too scary). Here's my tip for disneyland- go twice. We went on the first day of our trip and on the last day :)
How fun are your pics? Oh, I'm so jealous. I want to take our kids before they get too old to enjoy it. Someday! For now I'll live vicariously through your family. Seriously...looks like you had a great time.
Oh it looks like you had so much fun! We went earlier in November and had a great time! I love the blue shirts!!
Poor Emma... I remember being too short to ride Space Mountain and cried... I was 4... I can't wait to go again. Love you shirts by the way :)
You've been busy! Love the pics. You make me laugh! -and I love the shirts, too!
The shirts are all so cute!! You guys are the cutest family of 8, you know that, don't you? I wish we could have helped with accommodations.. next time. ;)
This is a fun post - I come from Traci's blog the Disneyland caught my eye. It looks like you are a pro, we've never been but are going in Feb. Any tips?
I love the shirts and hats you made. Your family looks so cute. I wish Tyler had kept track of all the comments. It would be fun to hear how many people noticed and said something. I love that last picture of Nathan in the stroller. He's such a funny kid.
Christie,
We are going to Disneyworld in March, I would love to make some t-shirts like the ones you did...could you email me and we can talk. Or you could email your phone# and maybe that would be better :0)
Brandi Kingsbury (Johnston)
Post a Comment