Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Good for Nothin'

Seriously. These two cats are good for nothin'!

We have suspected some unwelcome guests in our home for a little while now. Casey would complain that the 'rats' were keeping him up at night. 'We don't have rats in our walls," I'd tell him. "There is no way they can run around like that." But Sophie would stand watch in front of the heater vent. Hmmmm....maybe there is something in there. I placed a trap even though I had never seen any trace of a little rodent. And then one night in the quiet of my craft room, I heard it. Yup. Definitely something there. Randy said he'd get on it....

....A couple days later.....

It was a snowy day during Christmas break, and the kids were enjoying the snow outside. Hailey came in for some gloves she had drying on the heater vent from the day prior. I was upstairs and all of a sudden, I heard a, "Mom! Ew ew ew ew ew! Mom! EW! EW! EW! EW! EW! MOOOOM! EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

I came out of my room to see what was so gross. "Hailey, what's wrong?"

"A mouse!"

"Where?"

"Right there!"

"I don't' see it" Then I saw it. Dead on the rug. My poor daughter was traumatized, huddled in the corner. As Hailey had reached her hand into her glove, she felt something furry. She gave her glove a shake, and out plopped the nasty varmit to the floor. And she was about to vomit.

Being the awesome mom I am, I ran downstairs to rescue her call for Randy. He, being the awesome dad he is, scooped up the rodent into a grocery bag and took it outside to show the boys. I spent the next several minutes washing my hands with Hailey.

All I can figure is the mouse crawled out of the heater vent and into her glove and couldn't get back out, so it suffocated. There were little gnaw holes in the finger of the glove- the one we promptly threw in the garbage.
My poor daughter already checks her Rollerblades every time she puts them on due to a close encounter with an arachnid. And now this. Putting on gloves will never be the same for my sweet Hailey.

But she caught the mouse that my good for nothin' cats couldn't.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

EWWWWW!!!!! I have only had mice invaders once, and I was traumatized forever! Poor Hailey!

Rachael said...

Ohh... your poor daughter! That had to scare her to death.

Mindy said...

Ewww... We had some in our crawl space growing up.. I thought there was a bird stuck in the wall. someone told us that dog food attracts them (?..) my little brother and I sat in the doorway of the crawl space with our pellet guns shooting at the critters for an afternoon.. our wheat supply was no longer..

Kristen said...

Our cat is also for show only...She used to try. The last mouse invader, I caught. Mice make me sick, and for weeks after I thought I heard scurring feet everywhere.

BookwormMom said...

Oh, I feel so bad for Hailey!!!

Creepy crawlers in my shoes, etc is one of my BIG Ewwwwww factors....which is why I make the boys and Cole keep their shoes in the garage, but I refuse to!!!!

Natalie said...

That is a great story!!

Diane said...

Our property borders a big field so we occasionally have a run-in with mice. We were trying to get Rachael (11) to use the downstairs bathroom more, but she didn't like to because she would find big spiders there sometimes. Well, one night, she decided to use the bathroom downstairs instead of upstairs and on her way in a mouse ran over her foot.
...yeah, that was the end of that!

Looking for Something?