I have been at this bloggin' thing for a whole year!
And I have asked myself many times over the past year, 'why do I blog?' Several people have asked me how I find the time. I guess I do spend a good amount of time on this. But I don't watch TV, I don't read books, and I don't shop. So I justify it. After all, as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I have been instructed to keep a journal. Something I have unsuccessfully attempted dozens of times in the past. I have at least four journals- each with only a handful of entries in them. And then the idea came to start a blog. In the beginning, it was mostly to keep my parents up to date with our family life while they were on a mission in Hawaii. But I quickly realized how awesome it truly is. I finally have motivation to document our daily life: you, my faithful readers (and even the ones that stalk.)
When I started receiving feedback on my posts, I realized how powerful an audience is. You see, when I wrote in a journal, it was closed after each entry. And rarely ever looked at again. Sure, someday, someone would benefit. But I like to see the influence now. And I feel the difference in my own attitude.
A little while back, I was going through a 'funk'. I had many meltdowns and moments when I thought I couldn't possibly go on with the daily mundane tasks set before me. I was ready for a change and I had no desire to blog. I couldn't see much good to write about. In retrospect, if I would have made myself look for the funny things and the good times, I would have had much to report. And my attitude would have been much better. I would have been happier. And my kids would have, too. So when people tell me they don't have anything to blog about, and their life is boring, I realize that they just don't know what they are missing.
I have been following a few blogs that are truly inspiring. One is about a fellow blogger, Stephanie, that was recently in a plane crash. She is slowly recovering in a burn unit, while her sister takes care of her kids and blogs in her behalf. Stephanie's blog is one of the most intriguing blogs I have seen. She is amazing. She is such an example to me, though I have never met her. What power this blogging has.
Stephanie's sister has a quote on the header of her blog. It reads: "We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection." ~Anais Nin
How true that is. This really is my journal. It's a place for me to record the important things in my life and remember the fun, and sometimes difficult things that go along with motherhood.
So if you haven't joined this fantastic blogging world, try it. You'd be surprised how your outlook may change. You'll notice things you never did before. Keep post-it notes handy to write down funny things the kids say and do; thoughts and feelings you have throughout the day. That way, when it comes time to post, you'll remember. As I read back through some of my posts, I am reminded of life and it's challenges and joys- joys of being a mom. And I am grateful I have taken the time to record my life.
6 comments:
christie-thank you for putting it that way. as I have just started I do find myself looking for the fun in my life. you are an inspiration and wonderful example of how important it is to keep a journal, I mean blog. btw have you heard about blurb.com? cherstin
Happy Bloggiversary. Your blog has been an inspiration to me many times since I became one of your "faithful" readers. You have so much to share with others, even those who don't live close to you!
Yes, I have downloaded blurb and am in the process of publishing my first edition of "These are the Days". I will do a year at a time...for anyone who doesn't know what this is, you can have your blog published and hardbound...just go to blurb.com....it's actaully fairly inexpensive and easy to use.
I love your blog!! thanks for sharing your life with me! I am happy to be a little "blog" part of it!
Thank you for sharing that, I am in a funk right now with this pregnancy but I know that I will look back at this time and wish I had recorded the funny things the kids do perhaps your inspiration will help me!
I really enjoy reading your blog. You inspire me as a mother. Happy Bloggiversary!
Post a Comment