Sometimes my kids simply amaze me. Tonight, was one of those times. It was Hannah's turn to give the Family Home Evening lesson. When Randy asked her if she needed help, she replied that she already had one. (OK....last time it was about how much you can sell a heart for. Her lesson was complete with props- a heart-shaped rock.) We looked forward to what she would say tonight.
We sang a rousing verse of 'Called to Serve' and Tyler read the scripture: Peter 4:4 (found on page 444.) Then Hannah stood up to give her lesson.
"We need light to live." .......That was it. She was done. The other kids tried to hold back chuckles.
I quickly realized just how profound she was. Although she was, I'm sure, simply repeating something she learned in her first grade science, she hit on something much more profound than the importance of sunlight. We do, indeed need light to live. I posed the question to the kids what other meaning that might have.
Then Nathan chimed in, "If we don't have light, we don't know which way to go."
Once again, I was in awe.
To quote Elder Worthlin :
"As the sun gives life and light to the earth, a spiritual light gives nourishment to our spirits. We call this the Light of Christ....The Light of Christ is the divine influence that allows every man, woman, and child to distinguish between good and evil. It encourages all to choose the right, to seek eternal truth, and to learn again the truths that we knew in our premortal existence but have forgotten in mortality."
We sang a rousing verse of 'Called to Serve' and Tyler read the scripture: Peter 4:4 (found on page 444.) Then Hannah stood up to give her lesson.
"We need light to live." .......That was it. She was done. The other kids tried to hold back chuckles.
I quickly realized just how profound she was. Although she was, I'm sure, simply repeating something she learned in her first grade science, she hit on something much more profound than the importance of sunlight. We do, indeed need light to live. I posed the question to the kids what other meaning that might have.
Then Nathan chimed in, "If we don't have light, we don't know which way to go."
Once again, I was in awe.
To quote Elder Worthlin :
"As the sun gives life and light to the earth, a spiritual light gives nourishment to our spirits. We call this the Light of Christ....The Light of Christ is the divine influence that allows every man, woman, and child to distinguish between good and evil. It encourages all to choose the right, to seek eternal truth, and to learn again the truths that we knew in our premortal existence but have forgotten in mortality."
Painting by Greg Olsen
Without the Light, we would not know which way to go. And we do, indeed, need it to live.
5 comments:
What a smart little girl. You have very cute kids.
What sweet kids! Kudos to you, you are the one teaching them that...
It's moments like these that really make motherhood so worth it! Thanks for sharing! You are an awesome mother!
I love those times! I makes me think that maybe, just maybe they were listening to me! and that they will be ok when the storms hit! Great Job!
So cute!!
Post a Comment