Monday, December 10, 2007

Internet Shopping Woes

Saturday was a fun day. we didn't do much work. As I said earlier, the kids spent most of the day outside. I love it when they do that. Although, when everyone else is playing, I don't feel much like working. So, even though it would have been prime cleaning time, I just couldn't do it. I need a break, too. So I worked on some Christmas presents and hung out with Emma. She hadn't been feeling well Friday, and had a mystery fever Friday night. I couldn't find a working thermometer, but I'd say it was around 103-104. Maybe higher. The Motrin brought it down and she only needed one more dose. Then it was gone for good. I can never figure out why my kids do that. They get scorching fevers and then they are gone. No other symptoms. I remember the first time Hailey got a high fever. She wasn't even a year old. Casey had never had a fever before, so it was new to me. Her temp was 106.7. I pretty much freaked out thinking that her brain was frying. I called the pediatrician in a panic and as calm as could be, he told me to alternate Motrin and Tylenol every two hours. He said if it didn't come down by morning, to call him. WHAT?! Aren't you worried?! Shouldn't she be dead by now?! I guess some kids just get high fevers. 104 for most of my kids is normal. Casey on the other hand, if he hits 99, he's in bad shape.

OK, that was a tangent....so...Saturday night, Randy surprised us by taking us all to Chuck-a-Rama. He was celebrating a recent raise and the fact that he finally sold the Ford Explorer he bought at an auction back in August. The kids were so excited. They love it there. While eating her scone and lemon chiffon, Hailey asked me if it was a "Five Star" restaurant. Um no, Hailey. We don't go out to eat often, as you can guess.

And that night, Randy and Hailey slept in the igloo. They had a blast! Hailey will probably talk about it the rest of her life. And yes, they stayed warm- even their toes!

Sunday I had Sharing Time again. It went well, and it's actually not as bad I thought it was going to be. When we got home from church, I put Emma down for a nap while Randy went home teaching with Casey. Hailey has been occupying Tyler, Hannah and Nathan in her room playing 'school'. They spend hours in there and whine when it's time to eat dinner. I'm not complaining. I thought I would take advantage of the free time and take a nap. That was a mistake. Somehow while I was sleeping, my glasses got mysteriously broken and my keys lost. I still can't find them.

Today was, well, Monday. The lack of work on the weekend always catches up to me. But I have learned that we can spend all day cleaning Saturday, and by Sunday night, the house is a mess. I just didn't want to do that again.

So, about the Internet troubles...Hailey had asked for some American Girl stuff. I was undecided which things I was going to buy, and was waiting to talk it over with Randy. I had actually put things in my 'cart' but was waiting for his approval. He has been so busy with work that the first chance we had to talk about it was Friday. We hopped online, and low and behold, the outfit she wanted is sold out. Not just back orderd. SOLD OUT. They will make no more. It was an outfit that belonged to "The Girl of the Year"- so they won't be making anymore. I was bummed, but figured, I'll just get one on eBay or find a knock-off. No such luck. Unless I want to pay $40 for a $12 cowboy hat...FOR A DOLL! I was cringing at $12. There is no way I'll pay that much. So much for that idea. Oh yeah, and the other thing we were getting for her birthday- back ordred until January 4th, 2008! It is hard enough thinking of things for her birthday AND Christmas at the same time, I don't need this. So that was my Friday and Saturday.

Randy and I talked last night again about presents for the kids. We decided on some things I had already looked at online. So this morning, I got online to purchase them. As I placed an item in my bag on Amazon, a big red noticed flashed on the top of the screen. "The item you selected has increased from $13.29 to $16.99 since you placed it in your bag. The final price will be reflected at check-out." ARGH!

The next item to buy was for Randy. It is the one thing he asked for that isn't super practical, ie. socks or shoes. It is still practical- that is just him, but it's somewhat of a luxury. It was out of stock as well. I checked a half dozen or more stores and finally found a store that had one...for $13 more than the first place that had them last week! It said, "Only two left. Order soon." I wasn't going to waste any time. I was on a mission. Can you see how Nathan was able to do some damage upstairs?

Next on the list was Nathan's. I had searched all over the Internet last week for his. I wanted a simple wooden train track to expand the existing one we have. You know, the one I paid $12 for at Target several years back. I could not bring myself to spending $80- $100 for a Thomas or Brio one. And could not find a cheap one anywhere. After much searching, I finally did late last week. When I went back today (after confirming with Randy) it was nowhere to be found. This is starting to sound a little unbelievable isn't it? It gets better.

We decided to get Emma a little push corn popper thing. You know, one of those noisy toys that I will regret buying an hour after she opens it? It's a standard toy. We have looked at buying one a dozen times before and I have opted not to. But with her being number six, there is not much else we haven't already purchased. So I am willing to give it a try. That is- IF I COULD FIND ONE! I didn't want an electronic one that counts in five languages, plays fifty different songs and potty-trains your child (although some light house-work might come in handy and be worth the higher price tag!) I just want a basic cheap popper toy that my kids will annoy me with. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.

After 3 hours of frustration, it was time to take Hannah to school and run some errands. And my house was a DISASTER (alas being 'fired')! I was just glad that in the end, I got most of what I was looking for. I should have stuck to my original plan of not buiying them anything.

No comments:

Looking for Something?