Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm Gonna Miss This

There are at least two kids in our bed every night. Randy and I end up on the edges of the bed. Although I wake up with a backache every morning....someday, I gonna miss this.


This post has been in the makings for several weeks now. I didn't know I'd be writing it, but after yesterday, I am. I have served in the Primary Presidency for the past year and yesterday, we were released. The people I have served with have taught me so much. The Primary kids amaze me, and my testimony has grown. Hannah and Nathan always took it upon themselves to leave their class to come sit by me and mooch gum or mints or complain of a 'stomachache'. It drove me nuts sometimes that they wouldn't sit where they are suppose to. But now, I realize I'm gonna miss it.


Last month or so, I had an epiphany. Randy and I were in the car driving somewhere. We were both quiet and I was thinking. I have had a lot of responsibilities lately that have really weighed me down. They are all good things- things that I enjoy. Yet all together, they take their toll. So as I was contemplating my many tasks, I began to get frustrated. Then, as clear as I was living it, I had a vision. In my vision (I call it that for lack of a better word) I walked into Hailey's room. It was completely empty. No cute rainbow spread across the wall. No clothes on the floor or books on the bed. Nothing. One by one, I walked into each of my children's rooms and found the same thing. The house was silent and empty. The bathroom was spotless and there was no pile of laundry in the hallway. In this vision, my kids were all grown and gone. It was awful. I realized more clearly than I have ever realized anything before, that I WILL miss this: The dirty walls, endless laundry, toys and books on the floor, baggies of crushed goldfish, and spilled cereal. Dirty toilets, mac & cheese, banana peels and half eaten sandwiches, someday will not consume my day. And it I will miss it.



Last week was another extremely busy one filled with PTA responsibilities, and parent teacher conferences among other things. I was gone a lot and felt I had neglected my kids. Saturday night, I sat, rocking Emma in the rocking chair. I don't do this often, but that night, I needed it more than she did. Sometimes I wish I could abandon all responsibility and just focus on my little ones. President Monson's General Conference talk sums it up all so well.

In case you have your sound turned off, turn it on and listen to the song playing. Yes, I realize it's country, but if you can get past that, it has a message that I love. So despite whatever challenges I am facing, I know some day I'm gonna miss it.

7 comments:

chersty said...

I heard your song last night and was going to comment about it on another post and got distracted. Glad I waited, these same thoughts have been consuming me lately. I have to go back to work (very part time) next month but, boy I'm gonna miss this. love chersty

Heather H said...

Big hugs to you!! And I agree someday I will miss all this craziness of babies and toddlers!

Gramma224 said...

Don't worry....they will come back! And their little feet and hands will be replaced by others just as sweet and dear. Your house still will not be perfect, and it is o.k. But, you will rather have them visit and stay with you, than never seeing them or never having them run up and down the stairs...or sliding down the railing...or literally climbing the walls. :) ILUVU

Natalie said...

Very cute post and so very true. You are such an amazing mother. I am in awe....

Mindy said...

Sniff... glad I still get to "have" you! Good luck tonight ;)

BookwormMom said...

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Everytime I complain about my lack of sleep, I try to remind myself that it won't last forever, and I will miss these moments with my young children when they're older.

Traci said...

Ditto, I treasure these days, even if Jen saw my house in complete disarray. I know her house has never been as dirty, cluttered, or dis-organized as mine...but in all my frustration and embarrassment...I know I will long for these days~ I am sorry that you were released...it is painful!!!! However something is just around the corner...lots of love~

Looking for Something?