Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Works for me Wednesday

Two year olds can definitely wreak havoc in a matter of seconds. Hannah and Emma share a room, and it's living proof (OK, so Hannah does her share of mess-making, too) To keep Emma out of her big sister's stuff, I shut it in a closet and attach the best toddler proof device I have come up with. How can I say it's the best?

I used to use this on the doors when Casey was a toddler. That's how I know it's the best. Not even Casey could open doors like this. He had no problem getting past those big plastic door knob covers. But this...well it took while. That is until he found some scissors and cut the sock off. ;)

First, slip a sock over the door knob. A child sized sock is best- not a baby one, it will be too tight and it won't work well.
Loop a thick hair elastic around it as many times as you can.
Pull the sock back over itself.


Tie it in a knot if it's long enough.


Fold it back over itself if it's really long.


When they try to turn the knob, the sock simply slides around and they can't get a good grip. Older kids (and Grandmas) can open the doors easily (which is another reason I prefer this method,) because their hands get a grip around the knob. You can color-cooridnate, too if you are savvy like that. And the thing about this is, the harder the toddler pulls on it, the tighter it gets. Muahaha!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! Thanks for the great idea.

Looking for Something?