I recently came down with an infection. One that required more than my home remedies...or so I thought. So last Wednesday, I made an appointment with the 'Specialist'. A $20 appointment. When I showed up, they decided to go ahead and do my annual examine. An impromptu annual exam. Now ladies, you know what these visits typically entail. I was so not prepared for that. In fact, in my state, I hadn't even showered that day. Torture #1.
The so-called 'specialist' prescribed an antibiotic and sent me on my way. That was exactly what I didn't want to have happen. I have never taken an antibiotic that my body tolerated. But I was confident that this 'specialist', well-aware of my past history with antibiotics, knew what he was doing when he prescribed a drug in family all its own.
I waited 45 minutes for the top-notch pharmacists at Wal-Mart to fill my prescription. Torture #2.
I took my first dose at 8:30. I woke up around 5:00, needing to use the restroom. I shuffled to the toilet, and immediately felt chills throughout my body. Then, the all-to-familiar sense overcame my body. I was about to faint. I shuffled as quickly as I could back to bed. I barely landed on it before I passed out. When I regained consciousness, I woke up Randy. And I went downhill from there. Torture #3....by far the worst ever.
The extreme headache and general all-over ache was accompanied by tingle, numb legs and arms. My skin felt as if I were sunburned from head to toe. I was pretty much incapacitated. As Randy spoon feed me some hot cider, he affectionately referred to me as his little vegetable.
Randy called the doctor to see what could be done for me. The office was very uncaring and told him they would be "hard-pressed to call it an allergic reaction." Are you kidding me?!
I asked Randy to give me a priesthood blessing. I had to be better by that afternoon. At least well enough to attend the fifth grade maturation program. I couldn't let Hailey be the only one without a mom there. And I was in charge of the refreshments. I know there are many I could have called to do it for me. But I had Randy with me and he did most of it. So I showered and dressed, and we were off.
Part-way through the presentation, it hit hard. So hard that Randy traded places to sit next to me in case I fainted again. I barely made it through the presentation on our changing bodies. Boy was my body changing. The aching in my hips was unbearable. I laid on the couch in the faculty lounge while Randy cleaned up. Then I went home to start the torture all over again.
Friday was a little better. But still not feeling well. Finally by Saturday, I felt better enough to stay out of bed all day. I don't care what they want to call it, but I am NEVER taking an antibiotic again. And to think I paid $25 for that.
7 comments:
Who was that specialist?
It was an allergic reaction. The receptionist/kids don't understand enough to even give you an answer.
I bet they never talked with the doctor.
Oh, and did you check the description of the pills on-line? Wal-Mart's semi-technical staff has been known to make big time mistakes in what they dispense. A kid in SL is paralyzed because the technician did not dilute the cough syrup/pain medication they gave him.
That's totally crappy!
That is horrible torture. I hope that at least your infection is gone :)
So glad you are feeling better.
Don't say NEVER...just continue to be proactive about your health, and INSIST on speaking with a doctor when problems occur. If you call enough, they will have the MD call back, just to shut you up :)...
I'm so sorry you've been sick!
I thought it was all me.. staying up late, cleaning a hotel of all activities! :)
It wouldn't have mattered if the doctor did call back. I wanted to DIE! So no, I will NEVER take an antibiotic again- unless it is life and death. In which case, they'd have to admit me to the hospital.
Post a Comment