Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DON'T EAT PETE!!!


Nathan and I played a couple rousing games of "Don't Eat Pete" today. In case you are not familiar with this Jefferies' family favorite, I'll explain the play of the game. A board is set up (or handmade if need be) and many small, edible objects are placed on the playing board. ie: Cheerios, Skittles, M&M's, Honeycombs, or....Shredded...Wheat? (that was our second round this afternoon.) Someone is chosen to be 'it' and they leave the room. Everyone else chooses a "Pete". When the player returns, they one-by-one remove the pieces from the board. And eat them. When they reach for "Pete" everyone yells, "DON'T EAT PETE!" Simple, yet enjoyable.

The thing about that game, is it is best played with a large group. For a couple reasons:

It is fun to watch the kids get scared when everyone shouts at them (kind of a demented fun. Like When Hailey was terrified of the buzzer in Operation. We'd play the game just to see her reaction. I know, cruel.) I digress.....Despite it being only Nathan and me, the noise level was optimal. Nathan more that made up for dozens of shrieking 5 year old girls when he would yell, "DON'T EAT PETE!" Followed by laughing. And then he'd say, "Tricked ya!!" It never got old.

The other reason it's good to have at least three players is not so much for the enjoyment factor, as the logistics of the game. Nathan didn't seem to mind. When it was his turn, he'd jump up from his chair and run into the other room. I'd wait a few seconds and say, "OK, you can come in now." He'd skip into the room and hop back onto his chair. Oblivious of the fact that there was absolutely no need for him to leave the room. Who was I consulting with when choosing 'Pete'? I, of course, had to follow suite. So one time, I peeked in to see him pointing at various pictures on the board. As if a debate was going on over which one would earn the privilege of becoming 'Pete'.

As our supply of Honeycombs dwindled, we continued playing. It came down to the remaining piece. It was Nathan's turn to go out of the room. Naturally, I chose the picture under the lone cereal puff. As Nathan bobbed in, he grabbed the Honeycomb and I yelled, "DON'T EAT PETE!"

"Mom! You should have choosed-ed the duck!"
Shame on me. I guess we'll have to play again.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

That is so funny! My family loves Don't Eat Pete, as well. It's always a good time.

Brooke said...

hopefully this isn't too confusing... remember when I talked to you on the phone about all the photo editing... what was the name of the website that you can go to and download those free "filters". I've cleaned off my laptop and forgot to save those. If you could leave me the name of the website on my blog I would really appreciate it!

Looking for Something?