Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Happy Birthday to Moi!

I think I enjoy my birthdays more and more each year. It is one of two days out of the year that I just do what I want. No pressure to have dinner ready, no laundry gets done, and I am flat out lazy. This year, however, I think my expectations were a bit off. You see, the kids were home on Spring Break.

In my head, I had pictured a Little House on the Prairie sort of day. You know, one in which the kids willfully do all their chores, plus the ones I would normally do. After finishing, they’d take their younger siblings outside and skip off to lake for the day, to leave me with my needlepoint while Pa played the fiddle (OK, maybe that’s taking it a bit too far- maybe at least outside to jump on the trampoline so I could hone my photography skills.)

Too bad the snowy weather didn’t cooperate with my birthday dreams. Some called it Mother Nature’s April Fool’s joke. I found nothing funny about it. So, the kids were stuck inside, bouncing off the walls, and I was growing increasingly irritated with their lack of ESP. Regretfully, I told them of my (unrealistic) expectations, and I left for lunch with Randy. Needless to say, it wasn’t nearly as enjoyable as it should have been. Not because of the company, or the menu, but because I was upset at myself for getting upset at the kids.

When I returned  home, I found a clean house and happy kids, and homemade cards awaited me on the kitchen table.

DSC_0561

My day continued to improve as I got well-wishes and gifts from many friends and family. I felt very loved.

Randy and the kids got me presents as well, even though my photography class was supposed to be my gift. Randy knows me all too well- he got me a set of exercise weights and a 4lb. tub of Red Vines!

Hailey has kept up her promise of buying gifts for everyone with her own money. She was upset that she didn't have enough money to buy me and Tyler a present, so she decorated this cake for me instead. I loved it much more than anything she could have bought me.

DSC_0286

DSC_0293

After pizza and cake, we watched Old Dogs, together, snuggled on the couch.

Laying in bed that night, I realized my mistake in setting my expectations for the day. My birthday turned out better than I ever could have hoped for.

Thanks, everyone, for making my day.

7 comments:

Heather H said...

First, Happy belated Birthday!! And second that is a beautiful cake!!

D said...

Happy Birthday!!!! LOVE the cake!

Celeste said...

This month is such a special one, it's birthday time for you.... something, something..... Happy Birthday.. To You! What great kids you have! Maybe for my birthday I'll refer to your post for my family to check out... :)

Mindy said...

I think it sounds like a perfectly lovely day! Maybe I should give Randy fiddling lessons for his birthday next year? ;)
Hailey's cake is so sweet! You do have some great kids.

Julie said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday. You do have some pretty great kids.

Jen T said...

Happy Birthday! What a great cake! I have also realized that it is better not to set expectations, because as you know they turn out better than you hope for sometimes! :)

Diane said...

Did Hailey really make you that cake on her own? She did very very good! I thought of you on April 1st. I'm glad things turned out good in the end. You deserve it for sure!!!

Looking for Something?