Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Boastful Post

A friend of mine is always looking for fun things for her kids to do. Unlike me. I don’t actively seek extra-curricular activities for my off-spring.  She usually calls me and invites one of my children to join, even offering to drive every time. Great friend, wouldn’t you say?

I’m surprised she keeps asking because we usually politely decline or I am my typical flakey self and never get back to her.  A couple weeks ago, she called and asked if Tyler would like to do a pottery class. For some reason (divine inspiration?) I didn’t consult Randy on this and I just said yes. Come to think of it, I committed before I even asked Tyler if he was interested.

It is held on the one free night we have each week, the price is right, and a ride is provided. What’s not to love?

Last week, as we were going about our usual pre-dinner chaos there was a knock at the door. His ride was here. (Oh yeah….that’s tonight!) So without dinner, I rushed him out the door with a scribbled check in hand. Off he went, and on I went with my night. It was a particularly busy Thursday and I was headed out. I didn’t return until after he was in bed.

The next morning, he couldn’t wait to tell me all about class. He was able to successfully center his clay and throw a bowl. On his first night.

He was so excited to show me and asked all week if I could watch him. So tonight I did. And boy does he have skills. I was so impressed with both of the kids (a third friend was home with a fever.) Mind you, the class is mostly adults. I mean look at him, he’s not even watching.

pottery collage

His teacher proclaimed him Student of the Week after he successfully threw another bowl, trimmed last week’s bowl, and made a cup. He loves it. And I won’t lie- I do, too. I can’t wait to see the final products.

pottery 12

In the meantime, you might find me on Ebay. Bidding on a pottery wheel.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

So sweet. I don't know why this made me all sappy, but it really did. I'm tearing up. Those are priceless photos too.

BookwormMom said...

He must get his skills from his Momma...Cole's told me about you in pottery!

Wendi said...

I am so glad he is enjoying the class and has discovered one more talent! We can all use some more discovery in our lives.

Julie said...

Way to go, Tyler! His natural talent is impressive.

Paparazzi Boutique said...

What great pictures, Christie. A natural talent, for sure. He is such a cute kid. You're a good mom.

Mindy said...

Prodigy! What a blessing to be able to discover new talents. Those will be some fun things to have displayed around the house.

D said...

That's awesome! Jess took high school ceramics and it really is a lot of work. Throwing a bowl for her also required a trip to the chiropractor. So he must have some natural talent!

Jen T said...

Awesome! Isn't it cool when they develope some new talent you knew would have imagined? Good luck with the ebay bidding! :)

Looking for Something?