Friday, October 01, 2010

Teach a child to fish…

Casey was really good last year to get himself up and out the door by himself. I would wake up when I heard the front door close. I know what you are thinking…a good mom would wake her child, cook a nutritious breakfast, pack a lunch, kiss their forehead and offer words of encouragement before they head off to school. That’s what I think, too. Unfortunately, my good intentions never made it out of my head.

But this year, with two kids getting up before the crack of dawn, I decided I should turn over new leaf. Hmmm. Well, I think I got up early for the first couple days. I’ve never been good with routine. Ever. But I am proud to say we implemented a new routine and have stuck with it for a whole month! I’m pretty sure that’s a record around here.

We have been making the kids pack their own lunch the night before school. Since Casey was in kindergarten, I’ve been making lunches every morning. I don’t mind it, but mornings are sometimes hectic. Yes, I could make them the night before, but by the time dinner is cleaned up I’m tired and it’s time for the bedtime routine. (there’s that ‘R’ word again.) Not to mention, what I pack is not always what they want to eat. 

So we’ve taken the approach of teaching them how to make their own lunches. You know, a lifelong skill. I realized for years, I was only feeding them for a meal. Now, I’m feeding them for a lifetime.

Let’s take a look at the lifelong skills my children are learning.

Here is Nathan’s lunch:DSC_8103

Clockwise from the top: a whole carrot, unpeeled (yes, my kids like them better that way.) peach yogurt, pear halves, Mini Nilla Wafers, an apple, a s’mores granola bar, and a PB&J.

 

And here’s Hannah’s lunch:DSC_8104

Catalina dressing and some spinach leaves.

5 comments:

BookwormMom said...

Is she really that light an eater?

I can believe Nathan needs that lunch to fuel his boundless energy!

D said...

It must be a rec. manmgt. thing-- ruitine has been my big struggle as a mom also. But I can say it is possible to overcome, because we have conquered it! I think it is great to make the kids get involved and take ownership too!

Celeste said...

Alec has been packing his own lunch this year, too. He knows I have to inspect it before he leaves. He's tried to convince me that if he packs two good things, ie. carrots AND an orange, he should be able to pack two treats, ie. zingers AND laffy taffy. What a mean mom I am to say no to such logic!

Momma Bee said...

That is too funny!!

Jen T said...

I think I would want Nathan to pack my lunch, please :)

Looking for Something?