Thursday, September 30, 2010

Loyalty

If I can say one thing about my fifth-born: Nathan is loyal.

Loyal to his clothes. He wears the same shorts day in and day out. Once he gets comfortable with a shirt, it’s not easily removed. And if I can convince him to take a bath, it goes right back onto his clean body the second he’s dry.
I’ve tried buying duplicates; but like a beloved blanky, there’s always ‘the one’.

I’ve tried throwing the clothes in the wash while he’s in the tub. This usually accomplishes one of two things: a) He throws a fit the size of Jupiter. b) He won’t be persuaded to take a bath for the next 6 months.

I’ll take b.

That is until yesterday. Yes, it may be premature to proclaim my victory, but I am 2 for 2 and trying to be optimistic.
The morning was typical. He consumed his wholesome instant oatmeal, spilling half down his front in the process. As his departure time drew nearer, I risked it all and broached the untouchable subject. He needed a clean shirt, and it was a gamble. Some mornings he complies willingly, other mornings he….(see previous paragraphs.)

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Nathan, will you please change your shirt? (I didn’t dare ask him to change his shorts. He had only been wearing them for two days.)

Nathan: (shooting death rays at me)

Me: You spilled your breakfast all over your shirt, bud.

Nathan: (Looks down at his shirt, not seeing what the problem is, delivers more stink-eye and a groan.)

Me: Nathan, people will think we don’t take care of you. And do you know what they do with kids who aren’t taken care of?

Nathan: (shakes his head.)

Me: They take them from their home, and give them new parents. (This may seem a bit harsh to some, but after 2 years of daily roulette, I am at the end of my rope.)

He wasn’t buying it….until I pointed out a foster situation with some friends of ours. Then, just like that, he went into his room and performed a complete wardrobe change.

This morning was a repeat. He protested at first. But as soon as I reminded him of the fate of neglected children, he changed his tune, along with is dirty outfit.

I am happy to say: Nathan is one loyal kid!

184

Loyal to his family.

4 comments:

D said...

Funny kid. If you ever need a little cash, you really should take up writing as a career. You have such a cute way of telling stories.

Janet Johnson said...

I have one of those. Loyal to the end. Luckily he's usually compliant after 2 days though. I had to hide his favorite shorts when he grew out of them and feign ignorance.

But I guess loyalty is a good thing. :)

BookwormMom said...

Hey, whatever you have to do...

You just can't fault his abundance of personality...:)

Mindy said...

Loyal indeed! I find that "educating" my children helps them to better understand all the why's in the things I ask of them.

Looking for Something?