I was lucky enough to go to Women's Conference last week with my mom, my sister, sister-in-law, and niece. I was uplifted and learned so much that I've got a renewed dedication. I really enjoyed listening to the different speakers, but one of my favorite parts was the concert. Hilary Weeks performed, and as always, uplifted and brightened my attitude. She sang a song entitled "If I Only had Today".
Isn't that all any of us have- today? Make the most of today. Don't dwell on all the things undone. Most of us measure ourselves (myself included) by the things we 'got done' in a day. The dishes, the mopping, the laundry, balancing the checkbook, a gourmet dinner, the shopping or the dusting. They will still be there tomorrow. Let it go. Don't beat yourself up for not being or doing EVERYTHING. Nobody can do it all (even if it appears they can.) But the little things we do each day make all the difference.
One speaker at Women's conference related motherhood to fruit. She told of her somewhat dislike of bananas, and how she will eat one, but thinks they are just 'OK'. But she said that a peach is her absolute favorite fruit. She said she loves everything about it....the texture, the flavor, the smell..... and when she eats one, she savors every bite.
Shouldn't motherhood be like our favorite fruit? Savored and not just tolerated. Really...when we have something we love, don't we want to enjoy it? I know sometimes I forget that motherhood is one of those things I should enjoy. Amidst the never-ending laundry and tantrums, there are amazing things we are doing.As we were singing "As Sisters in Zion" in the closing session of Women's Conference. The Spirit spoke to me and the words hit me like never before:
As sisters in Zion, we’ll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we’ll seek.
We’ll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We’ll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.
The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity’s name.
How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit’s divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.
Oh, our purpose is great! Who else gets the privilege of caring for Heavenly Father's spirits?! He has such faith and confidence in us, that He entrusted us with some of His 'beloved' children. And He has not left us to do it on our own; He is there every step of the way. Our Savior has felt of our pain as mothers, and our feelings of inadequacy. He has felt the pain of those who wish with all their hearts that they could be mothers. And He knows.
Whether or not you are called 'mommy', know that you are loved. That you are a mother. Sheri Dew said, "Motherhood is more than bearing children. … It is the essence of who we are as women."As a woman, a sister in Zion, you are special. Thanks for your great examples, and your inspiration. Each of you make me want to be a better person.
Happy Mother's Day!
5 comments:
That was beautiful! A very nice essay on Mothers and Mothering! I love you.
All the effort you put into this post was well worth it. I really appreciate everything you have shared and the wonderful example that you are. Thanks so much for these words.
Thank you for your words and example!! I so needed your words.. I should probably read this every day, at the end of the day ;) It has made me want to be better. Love ya JFreeze! Happy Mother's Day!!
Very nice Christie. Thanks for taking the time to write that.
I appreciated your thoughts, I actually attended those classes too,crazy small world~
Post a Comment