Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Livin' in the Suburbs


Let me take you back to 1996......I had a new baby and Randy wasn't quite done with school at BYU. After being on the married student housing waiting list for just over a year, our name came up. It was a miracle, really. The waiting list at the time was much longer than that. There is no doubt in my mind that was where we were supposed to be.

Living there was everything I had hoped, and more. I had fond memories, visiting my three older siblings who lived there at various times throughout my childhood. Living there, you have a built in support group. Most of us had small kids (under 3) and all were in school (or at least our husbands were.) At any given time, you could walk out your door and into the 'quad' where other moms sat, playing with their kids on the playground. Instant friends that we could laugh with, cry to, or glean advice from.

After graduation, Randy secured a job and we knew it was time to find a permanent place to live. Somewhere to plant roots and raise our kids. We hoped for and envisioned somewhere that we could make fast friends that would last a lifetime. People much like our good friends in the quad (many of whom I still keep in contact with.) When we found the lot that our current home was built on, we had visions of neighborhood parties, backyard BBQs and long talks on the lawn.

I am happy to say that our neighborhood is that, and more. I love my neighbors and their kids. The friendships I have made here will last my lifetime, and my children's. My kids have a plethora of peers at their fingertips. I love that our yard become a gathering spot for many little ones. My kids have the childhood I always wanted for them.

What we didn't envision when we built our home here was a neighbor who needed reason to hate and be rude. Someone who would find one right off the bat, and continue to find reasons for 10 years.

Luckily, my many great friends in our neighborhood outweigh the one. My great friend, Natalie, sent my other great friend, Mindy, this link.......the song "Summer in the Suburbs" sums it all up.

Here's to many more fun memories.....

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am so thankful to have you as a neighbor. My kids love to spend time at your house. Thanks for letting us share in your friendship.

Mindy said...

I love living in this neighborhood!! I just wish I could convince my financial supporter to move a little closer to "Zion" ;)

Looking for Something?