We enjoyed watching Joy to the World after dinner. It brought me back to the year Hailey was born. Although at times, it is hard having a December birthday in our home, I was reminded of how special it was to be pregnant that season. It may sound corny, but I felt a connection to Mary. It was all so real to me. Even though circumstances were vastly different, I felt like I knew what she went through. And as the world celebrated the birth of our savior, we also celebrated the birth of our own child. How grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation. That through the birth and atonement of Heavenly Father's son, I can be with my family forever.
The kids were so excited for the gift exchange that night. We draw names and get to make a gift for that person, and they were all anxious to deliver their handmade treasures. Randy made Nathan two new pirate shirts so he could have a rotting supply, and I made Hannah a little fleece jacket and scarf. It kind of fits. Casey made Emma a cuddly soft blanket, and Hailey made Randy a key/wallet/phone. glasses holder. Tyler made Hailey a super fluffy blanket and Hannah made Tyler some fun erasers. Nathan made Casey a pirate ship (he was sure Casey wanted one!) and Emma made me a necklace and bracelet with a locket. In addition to those gifts, some of the kids found things they no longer need that one of their brothers or sisters would like. And you gotta love the coupons good for various acts of service. i can't wait to redeem my 'free load of laundry' coupon. This went on for quite some time. How nice it was to see the kids so excited about the GIVING part of Christmas.
Then all the kids went to sleep willingly. It truly was a Christmas miracle. Randy and I stayed up to wrap presents while we listened to the new CD he got me: "Barenaked for the Holidays".
The kids didn't really wake up until 7:30. And even that was with the older kids waking up the younger ones. And Emma wasn't felling well, so I had to rock her for a while before she fully woke up. Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Cyndi came over like usual to see what Santa brought the kids. For the most part, Santa came through. There were a couple things he didn't bring, but I think he must have had a hard time finding or making some of the more challenging requests. Tyler wanted 17 Eye Spy books, but only got 1 special Christmas one. He doesn't understand that Santa elves have to shop around for certain things they don't make- like books and clothes. But I told him I would keep my eyes out for any new ones.
Randy got a new camping pad so maybe he can actually sleep when he goes camping. I got a gift certificate to the Quilted Bear (guilt-free shopping!) and Casey got a drum set. Hailey got a wool pea coat for church and Tyler got a die-cut machine. Hannah got a Hello Kitty CD player, Nathan got a pirate tent, and Emma got a little doll house. I also made quillos and PJ's for all the kids for their Friday night slumber parties in the basement.
We are definitely spoiled. We really don't NEED anything. How grateful we are for Randy's secure job and our nice home. I hope my kids feel the magic of Christmas and the reason behind all the gifts. And that the greatest gift we ever have or will receive is the gift of our brother and Savior, Jesus Christ. That through Him, we will have eternal life.
Merry CHRISTmas.
4 comments:
I understand the pregnant around the holidays feelings... I loved having new babies in our home during the season... and being pregnant with Pey last Christmas... loved it!! Miss it!!
I liked hearing what your family gave one another, we definately have things in common. I am so glad that your holidays have been so great!
It's such a great idea to make presents for one another! That'd definitely help get kids (and me, for that matter) into the giving mood. Oh, and tell Casey that I just may need a couple of drum lessons from him...I've always wanted to learn, but the closest I've ever come is Rock Band at my friends' houses...and I'm pretty horrible at that...Glad you had a goo Christmas!
It sounds so fun to make presents for each other. What a fantastic idea!
Post a Comment