Friday, April 15, 2011

Tell Me I’m Not the Only One

Last week’s wet snow and ensuing run-off wreaked havoc on our house.

Thursday- Monday was our spring break. It snowed 9 inches from Thursday- Tuesday. Last I checked it was April, but that doesn’t mean much these days.

Having six kids cooped up in the house for 5 days is not a good idea. Normally, we wouldn't have let the bad weather keep us in, but we are somewhat home-bound for 6 weeks. So inside it was.

We passed the time with puzzles, blanket forts, hot wheels races and lots and lots of Suite Life of Zach and Cody and the Cosby Show. 

I also passed the time with nagging, wiping spills, and picking up trash.

Needless to say, I was ready for: a.)a sunny day or b.)school to start

So Monday evening, after a much-needed wheelchair excursion to the dollar theater, I opened Emma's door and was greeted with a lovely mildew-y odor. A nice bubble of water under the paint had made its way down the length of the wall and soaked everything in its path. The bookcase hutch, 30 or so books, and a large section of soggy carpet fell victim.

I couldn’t even think about it that night so I decided to walk away and deal with it when my house wasn’t hopping with 6 feverish children (cabin fever, that is.)

Tuesday morning, I got the kids off to school, and came back home to move furniture and tear back carpet. So much for a relaxing day ahead of me.

But first, I had to find the floor. As if the rest of my house wasn’t bad enough after spring break, I also got to clean the room of the messiest one in the bunch! I quickly made piles of dirty clothes, toys, books, and garbage.

I got all that put away and I pulled the bed away from the wall, only to discover more. Really?! I mean, how does it even get under there?! Is she training for the World Cup? Maybe she’s the next Walter Wick. If I can’t teach my kids how to pick up after themselves, they could at least earn a living not doing it.

047I spy a stretched out slinky, 2 blue cars, some chocolate chips and a lone U-N-O card.

By that point, I was tired decided it was best to leave her masterpiece alone. Everything, including furniture, was pushed to one side of the room and her bed was piled high with un-damaged books. I opened the window, turned on a fan and shut the door.

It has taken all week to reclaim parts of my house, ie: the family room, kitchen sink and fridge. The carpet and pad in Emma’s room is dry now, but the room remains in shambles.

I have no immediate plans to remedy that.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry about the water damage. Hopefully that is the end of it. It is certainly no fun to clean up mess after mess and then to add mother nature's mess to it. Exhausting! Glad you survived.

Jen T said...

It is amazing how much mess the kids can create in so little time. I have the house clean at 3:15, and at 3:40 it is like a tornado hit when the kids get home :) But I keep thinking someday I will miss the tornado, right? :)

Mandy said...

You're not the only one! It is such a battle. The only reason my kids have clean rooms is because the only thing in their rooms are their clothes (and they're younger). The downstairs is another story!

Rachael said...

Oh - that's awful. And I can definitely understand the cabin fever and Spring Break. I'm so ready for them to go back by Monday...

Mindy said...

I am still in awe that you could survive such high doses of Suite life...
Hope you are recovering well!

Looking for Something?