Randy took Casey and Hailey to the Warren Miller Film late last year. The admission price includes a lift ticket to a nice ski resort in Park City.
They have been dying to use them, but haven’t had the time. Randy has been really busy with work, and it is hard for Casey and Hailey to miss school. And then Randy badly sprained his ankle. He anticipated the day it felt good enough to hit the slopes. Slowly it got better, and it seemed they’d get to use the tickets after all. We planned for them to use them today as the kids had the day off school.
So early this morning, they packed up their boards and off they went.
I stayed home with the younger kids and had plans to take them swimming later in the day. After Emma got home from preschool, we did our chores and changed into our swim suits.
When we got home a few hours later, I had 13 missed calls. Most of them were from Randy. I knew immediately something wasn’t right. I said a quick prayer, that things were OK. I called Randy and he didn’t answer. I said another quick prayer and the phone rang. I sunk to the floor in the kitchen, preparing for the worst.
He sounded upbeat and asked me how my day was. And then he broke the news that Tyler had broken his leg. OK, I can handle that. It was ‘bad,’ was all he said. I knew he was down-playing the situation for my sake, but it could have been so much worse.
He was at Primary Children’s and they were preparing him for surgery. He put Tyler on the phone so I could talk to him before they took him to the OR. I could tell he was exhausted as he told me that he had hit a tree, he was a little scared for surgery, and his leg hurt a little. Thank goodness for morphine.
Randy said he’d call me back and I called my parents and put them on-call. I waited.
When Randy called back, I got more details: They had found the perfect run and were boarding close to the trees where the powder was the best. Randy glanced over his shoulder to see Tyler in the trees. As he was about to tell Tyler to come out, Tyler hit the tree. Thankfully, Tyler turned enough to avoid a head-on collision. I am grateful Randy was right there.
Tyler rarely cries. But this was the most pain he (or I am sure I) has ever felt. He started screaming. It scared Hailey more that he wasn’t crying, but she hurried down the mountain to alert the ski patrol. I am thankful she was so brave.
When ski patrol arrived on the scene, all Tyler said was that his leg hurt. They promptly cut his snow bibs and pants off to reveal an already swollen leg.
He took a ride down the mountain on the toboggan where an ambulance was waiting. I am thankful for the quick response and capable hands.
They loaded him into the ambulance for a trip to Primary Children’s. Tyler was scared, but in good hands. Randy, Casey, and Hailey followed behind all the way to the hospital.
They X-rayed his leg and hip. An obviously broken femur. The poor kid. I have heard that is the most excruciating thing. Thankfully, it didn’t puncture the skin.![]()
The surgery went really well. He will get the rods out in about 6 months. Until then, he will set off every metal detector he goes through.
It is late, and I am here with Tyler. Randy took Casey and Hailey home, and my parents have the other three. I am here by his bedside, and will be all night. Hopefully we can go home tomorrow.
He is still pretty tired, but otherwise doing really well. He is in a little bit of pain, but he is in the best place possible. I am so thankful he’s going to be alright. While I wish he wasn’t hurt at all. I am glad it wasn’t worse. It could have been so much worse..![]()
I have so much to be grateful for.
14 comments:
Oh my goodness- this is heartbreaking. That x-ray of the broken femur bone and the pictures of him are just so sad. I'm glad it wasn't worse, like you said, but still- the poor guy (and parents- I know it is hard to see your child suffer). We'll be thinking of you and hope for a rapid recovery. I'm sure he is such a trooper! Hang in there and take care. You are on our prayer list!
Christie, I cried through reading this. A mother's pain at seeing their child hurt. You are so brave. And so is Tyler. We're hoping for a quick recovery for him and for all of you. Luckily Tyler has such a strong family to unite around him and take care of him. ♥ you guys. Take care.
Casey filled us in on the way to school this morning. He told us Tyler is a "tough kid." I could only imagine how badly he was hurt and then I saw the pictures. Poor guy. I am so glad that he was able to get the help he needed and hopefully you were both able to get some rest. We are thankful too that he's going to be alright.
Wow...that X-ray was impressive, you are truly blessed it wasn't worse.
Call me if I can do anything for you!
Oh Christie, I'm sorry. Poor Tyler. I can't imagine waiting for that phone call. You're a brave momma! You have such a beautiful family and I'm so glad to hear that everything will be okay. Let me know if you need anything.
What a tough little guy. I can only imagine as a mom the feelings you must have felt once Randy told you want happened. I can't imagine having to sit there and see the pain he had, and has to go through and not be able to take it away from him. The tortures of being a mom. You guys are in our prayers. :)
It is amazing what just LOOKING at that x-ray does to me. Poor kiddo. Maybe he'll still be able to do some pottery when he's sitting out of some other things. I'm so glad he's okay!
So many blessings! Glad to know that things are being taken care of.
I am right here if there is anything I can do. xo
Tell Tyler He Rocks!!! What a brave kids you have - everyone needed to do their part and they did. What a blessing to be part of such a wonderful family. Let us know what entertaining we can help out with!
I am so sorry for him! I helped my hubby through his badly broken leg and it was heartbreaking. Let me know if you need help wheeling him around or going to the store or watching Emma or whatever! I know that it is overwhelming. Sending loves and prayers your way.
Oh! Bless you! You will be in our thoughts and prayers! Hope recovery goes well!!!
Oh no, one of my favorite kids! I subbed today in 5th grade and I wondered where Tyler was. Poor boy. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
So glad he is okay.
Sorry to hear about the accident. Poor guy. To cheer him and Randy up, you should definitely watch the following Brian Regan sketch. Make sure you watch Part II as well because that's where he talks about a femur being broken :) You'll laugh - promise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9m2FLHlEwA&feature=related
Post a Comment