Last night, Emma woke me up with her crying. I waited for her to come into my bed like she does most every night. After several minutes, Hailey brought her into my room. Emma was crying in pain. I did my usual checklist- first making sure she wouldn’t throw up in my bed. It was her legs. The poor little thing was having growing pains. I rubbed her legs and gave her some ibuprofin. She still cried. Wanting to calm her down (and resume my sleep) I told her the good news: “Emma, do you know what this means? It means you are growing. And that means we can go to Disneyland again!” She still cried.
Eventually, she curled up into her dad’s arms and whimpered a while longer. Soon she stopped. “My legs don’t hurt anymore.”
“Oh, good!” I replied.
“Can we still go to Disneyland?” she asked.
I assured her that we would still go as soon as she reached 40 inches. She jumped up from my bed as if she had never been in pain, and ran into her sister’s room. Moments later she returned, disappointed that Hailey was asleep and unable to hear the good news.
She crawled under my covers and snuggled in close like always. And that’s when my growing pains began. Although I can’t stop her from getting bigger, she’s still my baby. And for now, I’m perfectly OK with her crawling into my bed each night.
Even when she does sleep sideways.
6 comments:
That is so sweet! (Peyton likes to sleep sideways too.)
All my kids sleep sideways...I hope they figure out how to sleep right before they have to share a bed with a spouse....
I miss the days when the boys were little and would crawl into bed to snuggle with me....Talia still doesn't come out of her room until we get her in the morning, so she doesn't know she could come snuggle. I guess I'll just have to live with snuggles on the couch!
How precious. We, too, have those nights. All my kids have had growing pains in the legs. Aleigha still gets 'em. What a cute story and I LOVE the way you handled it. Also love seeing her sleep in a soccer shirt...glad I'm not the only mom that let's her kids wear them for jammies.
I think all kids naturally sleep sideways in their parents' beds :)
Thanks for the reminder that they grow up (too fast) and we need to enjoy every moment.
So that's why she was crying so hard! I remember when i would get those growing pains. I hated those!!! Well at least she's happy we can go to Disneyland soon!
Post a Comment